When non surgical medical procedures like medicines and physical therapy no longer helps the case of a spinal pain, fracture or a diseased spine then spinal surgery is often recommended by doctors to treat the issue. The surgery could either be a traditional open surgery or a more medically evolved surgery which involves a more minimally invasive approach.
The following are the most common surgical procedures based on the spine condition:
- Discectomy: It is a surgical procedure to remove the herniated disc material that presses on a nerve root or the spinal cord causing severe pain. The surgery releases the pressure from the compressed nerve to treat the condition. A microdiscectomy is a similar surgery which is minimally invasive.
- Lumbar Laminectomy: it is a decompression surgical procedure which removes the thin bony plate on the vertebra called lamina to treat spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis is a condition which narrows down the space within the spine causing pressure on the nerves travelling through them. The surgery ensures to release the pressure by creating more space.
- Foraminotomy: It is also a decompression surgery which is performed at the site of the foramina which forms the passageway for the nerve bundles to leave the spinal cord. This procedure is often performed on people suffering from severe chronic pain in the neck or back or a shooting pain in the arms or legs.
- Disc Replacement: It is a surgical procedure to replace a worn out or damaged vertebrae with an artificial disc implant which resumes the normal functioning of the spinal cord.
- Spinal Fusion: It is a surgical procedure which uses bone grafts to cause two vertebras to fuse into one another to form a single bone structure. This procedure is performed to stop movement and friction between the two bones.
Each of these procedures is medically complex and demands the attention of highly skilled surgeons for best results. So we have listed the best doctors for spine surgery in India to help you get the best treatment.
- Sandeep Vaishya
Dr. Vaishya is a neurosurgeon with above 22 years of experience. He is the director at the prestigious Fortis Memorial Research Institute in Gurgaon. Minimally invasive brain and spine surgery is one of his specialties.
- Arun Saroha
An expert in spine surgeries especially the spine instrumentation surgeries, Dr. Saroha is the head of the department at Max Super Specialty Hospital at Gurgaon with 19 years of experience.
- Rajagopal Krishnan
With 24 rich years of experience, Dr. Krishnan is an expert in cervical and lumbar discectomies. He is a senior consultant at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi.
- K. Sridhar
Dr. Sridhar is one of the best surgeon in India with a whooping 26 years of experience. He heads the Globus Hospitals in Chennai as its director. His specialty lies in vascular, skull base and cervical spine surgery.
- Rana Patir
Dr. Patir is one of the top spine surgeons in India with more than 26 years of experience. He is a director at Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi.